I have loved Lettuce Wraps since I was a kid and would order them at P.F. Changs with my dad. Since then I have expanded my horizons – in Dallas my favorite Lettuce Wrap is at Shinsei. My favorite Lettuce Wrap that I have ever had is at Taste on Melrose in Los Angeles – which they refer to as a Thai Chicken Cup.
I have played with recipes to make these at home. I think Lettuce Wraps are the perfect weeknight meal because they are so quick and easy to make. They are high protein/low carb while still being flavorful, filling and satisfying. Please see my recipe below and comment if you have any other great Lettuce Wrap recipe ideas.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Flavorful and Delicious Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (sometimes I do have Sesame Oil for a more Asian Flavor)
- 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Cup Water Chestnuts - Diced
- 2/3 Cup Mushrooms - Finely Diced
- 3 Tablespoons Onion - Finely Diced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper - Finely Diced
- 1 - 2 Clove(s) Minced Garlic
- Iceberg or Butter Lettuce
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Red Sweet Chili Sauce
- Step 1 Sauté chicken breasts on medium high heat for 4 -5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside to cool.
- Step 2 In the hot oil add water chestnuts, mushrooms, onion and bell pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften and then add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Step 3 In the meantime, once the chicken has cooled, finely dice it up and add back to the pan.
- Step 4 Mix all sauce ingredients in order and then add to the pan.
- Step 5 Saute chicken mixture for another 2-3 minutes and then serve in lettuce cups.