My oldest sister, Carol, gets credit for coming up with this recipe. She became Gluten Free about 10 years ago (before it was common) and had a hard time finding snacks that she could grab on the go and keep with her during the day… and so these glorious granola bars were born. I have been making these for over 6 years and everyone I have made these for raves about them. They are a great source of protein and are pretty healthy as they have no added sugar. My husband loves to eat them right before a workout.
You can make these in a 9×13 pan and slice them into bars, but they do not hold their shape quite as well. If you are a granola bar junkie like me, I highly recommend buying a silicon bar pan. It makes the process that much easier if you plan to start making these on a normal basis.
The recipe I have included below includes chocolate chunks, but you can substitute that with dried cranberries, or dried apricots – really any additions of your choice. These will keep up to 2 weeks if you keep them refrigerated and I actually prefer them cold. Enjoy!
Homemade Granola Bars
Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
- 3/4 Cup Peanut Butter (I like the natural oily kind)
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter (1 stick)
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups Organic Oats
- 1 Cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds (I pre-toast these in the oven before I add them to the granola mixture)
- 1/2 Cup Flaxseed Meal
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips/Chunks
- Step 1 Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees.
- Step 2 Coat pan lightly with butter.
- Step 3 Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together well.
- Step 4 Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Step 5 Bake 17 – 20 minutes.
- Step 6 Cut into bars – wrap in wax paper and refrigerate in an airtight container.