I consider this a Sunday afternoon post grocery store run, “go-to” late lunch. It is easy, healthy and ready in under 10 minutes. The most important part of this recipe is just buying a nice quality tuna steak – that will make all the difference. On a nice fresh cut of fish the flavor is so pure that you do not want to do to much to it which is why I love the simplicity of this recipe.
Walnut Crusted Ahi Tuna Salad
- For Tuna:
- Ahi Tuna Filets (cut about 2 inches thick)
- Olive Oil or Walnut Oil
- For Salad:
- Butter Lettuce
- Avocado, sliced
- Cherry Tomatoes, diced
- Mango, sliced into cubes
- Spiced Nuts
- For Dressing:
- 1/2 Teaspoon Wasabi Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- Step 1 Set the tuna out to acclimate to room temperature.
- Step 2 Prepare and plate the salad first as the tuna steaks will cook very quickly.
- Step 3 Mix ingredients for salad dressing and set aside.
- Step 4 Coat the tuna steaks in salt and pepper on both sides.
- Step 5 Crush walnuts and cover the tuna steaks.
- Step 6 Heat oil in pan until sizzling.
- Step 7 Sear steaks on either side for about 2 minutes. You do not want to cook the fish all the way through – you should be able to watch the “white” seared area rise visually.
- Step 8 After searing on both sides let the steaks rest for 5 minutes.
- Step 9 Slice against the grain and serve on top on the salad with wasabi vinaigrette.