My husband and I leave next weekend to embark on our annual beach trip to South Texas with my 25+ family members. Since we will be spending next week migrating from the pool to the beach on repeat and living in our swimsuits, we have been trying (*key word trying*) to eat healthy in preparation. For me, the key to eating right is meal planning ahead of time along with making dishes that are still very filling and satisfying. I don’t know about you, but if I just eat plain chicken and broccoli on repeat it always leaves me longing for more. What is great about this dish is that it is full of wonderful fresh vegetables and chicken, and it has so much flavor. For the zucchini noodles I just use a small handheld spiralizer to make the “zoodles” fresh, but most grocery stores also sell them now already cut. Typically, Osso Bucco is made with veal shank which I also have a wonderful recipe for and will share at a later time. However for this dish, I used thin chicken cutlets and it makes this a quick, simple, much less expensive yet delicious week night dinner. Enjoy!
P.S. Do not skip out on making the Gremolata to go on top – it makes the dish!
Osso Bucco Style Chicken with Zoodles and Gremolata
A variation of traditional Osso Bucco made with chicken.
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Cutlets or Chicken Breasts pounded thin
- 1/2 Cup Onion, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Celery, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Carrots, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 14 Ounce Can Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 2/3 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Zucchini Noodles also known as Zoodles:
- 2-3 Zucchinis, spiralized
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced or chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Step 2 Lightly salt and pepper the chicken and then add the chicken to the pan and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Step 4 Add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic to the pan. Cook until the vegetables have softened. About 5 – 7 minutes.
- Step 5 Add the tomatoes, broth, wine, bay leaf, and Italian seasoning. Stir to break up the tomatoes.
- Step 6 Return the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Step 7 Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 15 minutes. When finished discard the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 8 While the chicken is cooking prepare your zoodles using a spiralizer. Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the garlic and zucchini and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Step 9 For the Gremolata, combine the parsley, lemon zest and garlic in a small bowl.
- Step 10 Serve the chicken atop the zoodles and garnish with the Gremolata.